Are you a fan of juicy ripe strawberries? Do you believe in natural remedies for conditions like wrinkles? Do you know that many fruits are ridden with pesticides and require special handling to be safe for consumption? If you are not a fan of organic strawberries, you should be. Not only are they packed with antioxidants, each red fruit is a bona fide super food, too. Here are a few reasons to eat more organic strawberries… you can find them at most health food stores in the organic section.
Strawberries are an excellent source of antioxidants, Vitamin C and manganese. They are also a good source of dietary fiber, iodine and folate plus copper, potassium, biotin, phosphorus, magnesium, Vitamin B6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acid. As a word of caution, strawberries repeatedly come up on the dirty list because many mass farmers may add a small amount of pesticides to prevent pest infestations. As you know, pesticides are bad for you. So, either buy organic or grow your own garden if you have the space. They grow like weeds so I think you’ll be very pleased in a matter of a few months and find them over growing in 5 years, meaning you may need to prune the vines regularly. To start your garden, either build a garden table with 2×4 planks with metal mesh base or find shady dry soil in your back yard that faces east. Strawberries like shade during the afternoon. Buy 3-6 strawberry plants. Plant the strawberry planters inside 6-8 inch wells. Cover with remaining soil. Keep strawberries in the containers because it prevents the roots from intertwining with one another. Once planted, just water daily. For critters, put 1:4, water to vinegar ratio so that 1 cup of water to 4 cups of vinegar, in a water spray bottle. Spray once a day in the morning and plant marigold flowers around the perimeter of the garden.
5 Health Reasons to Grow Your Own Strawberry Garden
- Boost Immunity – One serving contains 51.5 mg of vitamin C about half of your daily requirement.
- Promote Eye Health – High doses of Vitamin C play an integral role in strengthening the human eye’s cornea and retina. Prevents cataracts from forming as well.
- Prevents Cancer – Vitamin C can help to prevent cancer. Antioxidants act like scavengers to free radicals and neutralize the negative effects on human cells.
- Keeps Wrinkle In Check – Researchers in Korea concluded elegiac acid visibly prevents collagen destruction and inflammatory responses. These are the two major factors in the development of wrinkles in women and men after continued exposure to skin damaging UV-B rays.
- Fight Bad Cholesterol – Strawberries contain ellagic and flavonoids which product antioxidant effect that can benefit heart health in various ways. It counteracts the effect ow low-density lipo protein or LDL bad cholesterol in the blood that cause plaque build up in the arteries.
In general, strawberries are the great addition to your diet on a daily basis but just make sure they are organic. So, eat up and have a summer garden fling with this red fruit of choice that is also a super food!!! Click here for a more health reasons to eat strawberries.